- Interested in your Irish or Scottish family heritage?
- Would you like a social historian – with over a decade of investigative family history experience – help you to discover your family tree?
- Would you like help to do it yourself?
- If so, then do read on…
I am a family history researcher with over ten years experience. I am experienced in researching families with roots in Scotland, England and Ireland and am also proficient with transatlantic migrant research. I specialise in researching the Irish who were west of Scotland based from 1790 onwards.
I use accredited software and a variety of subscription and non subscription services when conducting all of my research. I also use primary source archives and materials such as Poor Law records and newspaper archives to further strengthen the research. I am a regular visitor to centres for family and social history research in Scotland, such as the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and the National Records for Scotland in Edinburgh.
I operate on a part time basis and will typically charge by the hour for research services although do see below for specific costings.
Typically speaking, a block of 5 hours is usually enough to provide multiple generations of research within the one family line, assuming at least one generation was born in Scotland. For example, a paternal family line going back at least 3 generations. This is dependent on many variables however and each family search is always that wee bit different from the other.
See below for some examples of the quality of research on offer. The following has been researched by myself and highlights the range of research which I am able to provide.
What You Get
- Dedicated hours of research
- Professional archive retrieval service
- Initial free consultation (20-30mins)
- All research collated in an easy to read document and, if requested, a digital PDF file
- Additional family/social history research services as requested (see below)
- Signposting to further services should you wish to take research in different direction
£18 per hour for family history research and packages can also be purchased.
- 5 hour family research package (£90)
- 10 hour family research package (£180)
Any archive retrieval which comes with an administration cost (credits on subscription site, printing, postage, travel expense etc) is charged at cost price
Additional services below are provided at individual rates – contact for details:
- Provide a recorded lecture detailing the family history research
- Visit and take photographs of any specific landmarks associated with the family research (graves, buildings, places of worship etc)
- Consultation service for DIY family history research
- Newspaper archive search
- Single look up (£10 flat fee)
- Provide comprehensive searches of primary source archives such as Poor Law records, Prison records, Psychiatric Asylum/Institution records etc
- Contact for any other specific request which is not listed here
Services and sites which I use to inform my research
- Mitchell Library, Glasgow City Archives and Family Research Room (level 5)
- National Records of Scotland Reading Rooms
- Irishgenealogy.ie (Civil records, partial census returns etc)
- National Library of Ireland (Roman Catholic parish records)
- British Newspaper Archive
- National Archives (Kew)
- Glasgow Caledonian University Gallagher Memorial Library
- Many, many more…
When contacting do include the number of hours of research you would like to book and include key details such as the names and dates of birth of at least one known generation of your family, if you know it.
It is best to leave a contact telephone number too for a more direct (and free) consultation.
PayPal is the preferred method of payment however I also accept cash. And receipts of all payment will be provided.
It is best to contact before submitting any payment for an order so that the particulars of the research can be discussed.